Saturday, October 25, 2008

Short story: Victoria and Her Kimono by M. Shanmunghalingam

1. Describe about the language in Victoria and Her Kimono by M. Shanmughalingam

I have read this story, which entitled Victoria and Her Kimono, written by M. Shanmughalingam. I found that this story is quite interesting and not too bored. In this story the writer embrace a few cultures like Indian, English and Japanese. For my opinion, the style of writing in this story is quite interesting. This story is like a historical story which is happened during the Japanese and British colonial in Malaya. The language that were being used in this story is also not too hard to be understand. But, there are still some few words that I’m still need to find the meaning in the dictionary because I can’t guess the meaning from the sentence. At the beginning of the story is quite hard for me to understand, but after I’ve finished read the whole story, I’ve understand what is all about. Overall, there is not much high lexis word that was being used in this story, just a few words only. But, the language is not very complicated, mostly the writer just used the simple words and it is suitable for the level of Malaysian people to read it.

No comments: